In SIBO, an excessive proliferation of bacteria occurs in the small intestine. It is estimated that under normal conditions the amount of bacteria in the small intestine is low, being very high in the large intestine or colon.
The prevalence of this disease in the population is not known exactly. Several studies have estimated that between 2.5% and 22% of the population has bacterial overgrowth.
What conditions predispose to the appearance of SIBO?
There are conditions that predispose to the appearance of bacterial overgrowth.
Among the anatomical conditions we have any change in the structure of the digestive system, for example, of surgical origin (surgeries to lose weight or bariatric, previous surgeries in the intestine and colon, in addition to stenosis or narrowing of the intestine, diverticula and fistulas).
Those conditions that alter the functioning of the digestive system, such as advanced age, decreased secretion of gastric juice, including that caused by gastric protectors such as omeprazole and similar drugs; alterations in the immunity or defense of the intestine and alterations of the gastrointestinal movement.
Causes of SIBO
The predisposing conditions lead to a series of diseases that, due to their characteristics, are closely linked to the appearance of bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine.
We mention several common conditions:
• Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, or decreased secretion of pancreatic juice, which is due to chronic pancreatitis or diseases of the pancreas.
• Immunodeficiency, decreased defenses and antibodies located in the small intestine.
• Irritable bowel syndrome.
• Celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
• Crohn's disease, chronic inflammatory disease of the digestive system.
• Short bowel syndrome (post-surgical conditions, after resecting and removing part of the intestine for a specific cause).
• Nonalcoholic Hepatic Steatosis (Fatty Liver).
• Hepatic cirrhosis.
• Parkinson's disease.
• Mellitus diabetes.
• Morbid obesity.
Symptoms of small intestine bacterial overgrowth:
The symptoms of SIBO are not exclusive to that disease, worse still, they are very similar to other intestinal problems, so sometimes it is not easy to reach the correct diagnosis.
• Bloating (gas).
• Cutaneous manifestations: rash, reddish discoloration of the face (rosacea) or acne.
How is the diagnosis of SIBO made?
There are no specialized and easy tests for the detection of SIBO. So the diagnosis is mainly clinical, evaluating medical history, antecedents, predisposing conditions and symptoms.
Some tests have been carried out:
• Breath test to determine the level of expired hydrogen, as well as methane, glucose and xylose.
• Count and culture of bacteria from intestinal fluid, obtained through endoscopic aspiration of the small intestine.
What is the treatment of SIBO?
1. Discover the cause and treat the underlying disease according to each particular protocol.
2. Lifestyle changes:
3. Reduce stress.
4. Avoid large or large meals.
5. Eat in smaller portions up to 6 times a day.
6. Alternative or natural treatments:
7. Acupuncture has been proposed as an alternative with some success stories.
8. Some natural oils or extracts have been proposed such as: oregano oil, berberine, wormwood, peppermint oil, tarragon oil.
10. Avoid: foods rich in fructose and sugars, juices, honey, processed sugars, lactose, garlic, onion, cabbages, soy, and sweeteners.
11. Recommended: Tuna and salmon, meat and lamb, poultry and free-range eggs, raw cheeses, almond or coconut milk, green leafy vegetables, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, plantains and bananas, blueberries, grapes, pineapple, strawberries, quinoa and melon.
12. Nutritional supplements, the following minerals and vitamins must be restored:
13. B12 vitamin
15. Vitamin D
16. Vitamin K
18. Vitamin A
• Probiotics: Their use has been shown to improve SIBO cases. It is advisable to consume foods enriched with probiotics such as Lactobacillus or Bifidobacteria.
• Prokinetics: these are drugs that improve bowel movement, in case of presenting any alteration of intestinal motility or gastroparesis. Among them we find domperidone, cisapride, among others.
• Antibiotics: they are used for cycles of 7 days duration, repeating treatment or alternating antibiotics, according to the frequency with which the symptoms appear annually. The most used are:
• Quinolones: comociprofloxacin or norfloxacin.
• Amoxicillin / clavulanic acid.
The syndrome bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine, is a common and already widely studied entity that deserves special attention because it affects the quality noticeably visa patients who have it.
VivaSlim is the breakthrough solution that helps to release the fat from cells with its powerful natural blend. It is the dietary supplement that gives you weight loss results by addressing the lack of adiponectin which is the root cause of belly fat. The VivaSlim is made in form of liquid supplement with dropper that makes the consumption safe and effective by getting absorbed easily into the body. The VivaSlim formula includes 11 natural plant extracts, vitamins and minerals which makes it potent to melt the belly fat and improve your health. This formula is gained from the secrets of the indigenous people from African rainforest. The VivaSlim supplement is manufactured by Simple Promise under the strict safety guidelines without any dangerous toxins or stimulants that makes the dose safe. VivaSlim
CODE NO: WT105143 SIZE:4*4*8CM MATERIAL:POLYRESIN FUNCTION: DESK DECORATION CATEGORY:GIFT THEME DESCRIPTION: 2ASST POLYRESIN BABY BOY & GIRL GRADUATTION FIGURINE , PRECIOUS MOMENTS GRADUATED BOY & GIRL, TABELTOP DECORATION, HANDMADE CRAFTS ITEMS , Our…
If you are willing to buy Flexible Shaft Coupling from one of precision machinery manufacturers and suppliers in China, Youright Precision is always at your service. Welcome your enquiry to us and further business negotiations, let's creat a prosperous…
JJGF270 Pipe End Cap This product is applied to both ends of the steel tube to protect it from dust.Environmental protection and wear resistance.Complete specifications, is suitable for the 6mm-2235.2mm plastic steel tubes, manufacturers direct…
One might think that given the amount of information available on the negative aspects of junk food or fast food, as well as the obesity rate in countries like the United States and Mexico, people would think twice about consuming frozen or cooked food.…
Established in 2014, Chongqing Goldenpal Technology Co.,Ltd. is sited in Chongqing, the largest municipality directly under central government of China. We endeavor to provide global users with various kinds of battery products. Our main products include…